Lacking motivation? We all need a carrot on a stick sometimes. Here are a few little rewards–big and small–that can keep you motivated no matter your budget. You can find more ideas for how to crush Nanowrimo in my Nanowrimo Workbook.
Daily Rewards ($0-$5)
- Put a gold star on your calendar for each day you meet par.
- Put off watching your favorite show or youtube channel until after you get your words in.
- Reward yourself with an Oreo or other favorite sweet treat when you hit par. If it’s a really good day, you can have two cookies.
- Grab a multipack of some pens you like or want to try; you get one pen for each day you reach your goal.
Mid-Stream Rewards ($0-10)
For 10k-35k milestones, or 25-75% completion)
- a new notebook.
- washi tape or fancy stickers.
- Rent that movie you’ve been waiting to hit Netflix that never does.
- Treat yourself to something from your hobby, like a magazine, a nice container to keep your supplies in, or a cut of fabric.
- Starbucks or fancy drink of choice.
- Buddy up with a fellow Wrimo and write encouraging letters for each other to open at certain points (Feeling discouraged, hitting 50%, killed a character you really liked, having a 5k day, etc. It’s up to you)
For hitting 50k, finishing the novel, or other major milestones
- A new tarot deck, book, video game, streaming service, etc
- Go to the movies or out to dinner
- mani and/or pedi
- Take the weekend off. Spouse has to cook instead (or clean or play chauffeur for the kids, whatever)
- Spend a weekend in your favorite spot.
- Go wild. Add a cake to your grocery order.
- Restoring a typewriter, sewing machine, or other piece of equipment? Splurge and send that part you’ve been struggling with to a pro.
I hope these help you to stay motivated, no matter where you are as a writer or what your budget is. What are some free or low-cost ways your reward yourself?
Like what you see? Check out Preptober: Supplies for Nanowrimo