knitting

Finished Object Friday

I’m back again, and with MORE finished objects!

The first one this week was a request from Ash, a black Pussy Hat.

For those of you unfamiliar, the Pussy Hat Project starts with an extremely simple hat with a flat, seamed top to form cat ears. These hats can come in all colors, but are usually seen in hot pink, as a protest to the rollback of women’s rights we’ve been seeing with the current administration here in the US. While I support the project, I haven’t made one for myself just because I’m not sure how much wear I would get out of a hat with kitty ears, even though I think it’s cute. I’m still on the fence. I might make another for myself, but Ash had no reservations about requesting one in black. It’s a bit late for the various marches, but both of use are resisting wherever and however we can.

hatThis particular example used up 2 odd balls of black yarn I had lying around, plus a few extra yards from another ball when it came out just slightly too short. Though the brim is rolled on my mannequin head (which is slightly smaller than the average adult skull), Ash wears it with the brim down.

I didn’t use a pattern, though the original pattern and most if its variations are available for free. I just looked at a picture and did my own variation, which was top down. I cast on 50% of the stitches straight, then increased by kfb in every stitch. Then I used a circular needle to knit the knit stitches and slip the purl stitches onto the other end of the circular needle. The result is a ridge across the top that helps the ears stay upright, and is completely seamless.

shawl-1

shawl-2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My second (and final) FO for the week is…also a gift for Ash. I’ve had this yarn in my stash for a few years; it’s a Chinese brand I’m not familiar with and got in a swap (don’t ask me the brand name, it’s in Chinese), and is a cotton/bamboo blend. I originally intended to make socks with it, with didn’t like how it knit up at such a fine gauge. So I switched to a larger needle and adapted The Age of Brass and Steam to work with fingering weight yarn instead of DK. I added an extra stockinette section, both to use up as much yarn as possible, and because the pattern as written in that gauge was too small. It’s going to be a perfect match for the red and white steampunk outfit she made a few years ago.

I’ve still got 3 more WIPs on the needles, but you’ll see those next week!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s