Hey guys, just a quickie post today. We leave for Steampunk Symposium on Friday morning, and I still have so much to do!
So what does one pack for a steampunk convention, other than the standard items like underwear and hand sanitizer?
Alice and I are still perfecting the list, but here a few of the steampunk-specific things that we take with us:
- Bobby pins. Lots and lots of bobby pins.
- Safety pins and a miniature sewing kit.
- Excellent boots/shoes. When you find a good pair of shoes that work with a costume and can be worn for an entire day, often while standing, then they are worth any price!
- A book. I know it sounds weird, but most Steampunks are avid readers. A good book can be a great conversation starter!
- Notebook. You never know who you are going to meet. This is great for exchanging information, making a list of vendors, authors, or movies that get recommended over the course of the weekend, or getting autographs from authorbeasts spotted in the wild.
- Tea. For refreshment. For sharing. For fighting off those pesky sniffles that crop up when traveling…
I’m not sure if a typewriter will be coming with me this year or not. I’m tempted to take a pen and ink, but fear that might be a bit messy. Eventually, I need to get my hands on a good fountain pen.
Any other suggestions? I will, of course, be taking a camera and a plethora of chargers. I’m thinking about taking my work phone, which is much smarter than my &*@#$^ stupid phone, but I’m not sure if I want to have it on me when I’m on vacation. But, it does have camera, GPS, etc, which would be handy and cut down on the number of things I need to pack.
And now I really need to get back to packing!